Vacancy: Volunteering and Engagement Assistant
We are looking for an enthusiastic and creative person to assist the Volunteering, Engagement and Learning Officer in the delivery of HMS Unicorn’s volunteering and engagement programmes, funded by Dundee TSI Communities Mental Health and Wellbeing Fund.
Role description (download)
Applications Closing: Friday 16th June 2023, 5pm
Job title: Volunteering and Engagement Assistant
Location: HMS Unicorn
Supervisor: Volunteering, Engagement and Learning Officer
Job Type: Part time (14 hours per week – 0.4 FTE)
Contract Type: Temporary (1 Year)
Salary: £8,808.80 - £22,022 pro rata (£12.10 p/h)
About the museum:
Launched in 1824, HMS Unicorn in the third oldest ship in the world still afloat and one of the six oldest ships in the world! Now a historic ship and visitor centre, the Unicorn is situated in City Quay, Dundee. Visitors can explore four decks full of history and discover the unique experience of life on board a 19th century frigate.
Our mission is to deliver a world class museum experience, work continuously to safeguard the future of HMS Unicorn, and care for our collections while making them accessible to all.
Our vision is to inspire those who visit and work with us, offering lifelong learning and engagement opportunities for our local communities and beyond.
About the role:
We are looking for an enthusiastic and creative person to assist the Volunteering, Engagement and Learning Officer in the delivery of HMS Unicorn’s volunteering and engagement programmes.
The key tasks will include:
- Delivering activities and events as part of our engagement programme
- Helping to develop outreach workshops for schools.
- Working with community groups as part of a specific project
- Support the recruitment, training and management of volunteers
- Evaluating the success of engagement projects and activities
- Undertake other tasks appropriate for the role and responsibility as required
- Experience of delivering formal or informal learning and engagement activities for a diverse range of audiences
- Experience in supporting and motivating volunteers from a wide variety of backgrounds
- Ability to convey enthusiasm about HMS Unicorn to a wide variety of different audiences
- Confident in dealing with the public
- Creative approach to developing engagement opportunities
- Able to plan ahead and manage workload to meet objectives
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Skilled in written and verbal communication
- Competent IT skills
- Understanding of approaches to the evaluation of learning projects
- Ability to build and maintain strong and positive working relationships both internally and externally
- Submit to PVG Scheme
- Desirable requirements:
- Experience of delivering formal or informal and engagement activities for a diverse range of audiences in a museum, heritage education or community setting
- Ability to use social media to promote activities and engage with audiences
- Demonstrable interest in history
- Experience in evaluating learning projects
HMS Unicorn is currently not fully physically accessible for all users, and there are therefore physical requirements that come with this role on board a wooden, historic ship.
- Must be able to access HMS Unicorn via an entry gangway which can rise up to a 50 degree angle at high tide and dip to a 50cm drop at low tide.
- Must be able to access the different decks on board HMS Unicorn which are only accessible via ladderways.
- Must be able to work for short periods of time on two lower decks with limited head room, ranging from 166 - 168cm and 127 – 158cm respectively
For a full description of access aboard HMS Unicorn, please refer to our access guide: www.hmsunicorn.org.uk/files/docs/users/mmoran/HMSUnicornAccessibilityGuide.pdf
We encourage applicants from all backgrounds, and welcome applications from those facing barriers to employment, people living with a disability and with additional support needs, people from a BAME background, refugees and those who identify as LGBTQI+.
We are part of the The Disability Confident scheme which includes a guaranteed interview for any disabled applicant who meets the minimum requirements for a job
If you have a disability and would like to apply for the Guaranteed Interview Scheme then please make this known when submitting your application.